Saturday, November 20, 2010

Wasting time

Blogging, this is the ultimate and a colossal waste of time for me. Firstly, I can't believe someone out there is jobless enough to take the time out to read whatever pointless things I will be posting on my blog, if I do maintain it, I have always had a problem with following through. Secondly and most importantly I feel like a fraud. I have no business writing a blog. Blogs I feel are for those who write so beautifully that you can’t stop reading, even though you don't understand most of the things being written. Or for those who have important things to share. I have none, period. My 23 years on this planet have been a big fat period of nothingness interjected with sleeping, eating, procrastinating, and unnecessarily complicating my otherwise shamefully uncomplicated life. So what do I have to blog about? But as I've realized since the influx of these various networking sites, being bored makes you do a lot of things. I should not be bored by the way. I have a viva tomorrow. Another example of procrastinating and unnecessarily complicating my otherwise shamefully uncomplicated life. But that can wait as I have this very important task of sharing things on a public site that nobody cares about anyway.

In this first blog, I want to write about my happiest moment in life. This is not the happiest memory mind you. There are so many memories in one's life I feel and memories are hardly one-dimensional is it? No, the happiest moment, one where I know my life has changed and gave me the courage to look at myself in a different light. Getting into Jawaharlal Nehru University. Now I am going to talk about JNU like a pompous little thing to those who by any chance do not know about it, and even if you do, just making a point, and frankly, gloating a bit.

"It is the most prestigious university in India in terms of its reputation. International league tables produced in 2006 by the London-based The Times Higher Education Supplement (THES) placed JNU among the world's top 200 universities. For life and biological sciences, JNU is ranked among the top 100 universities in the world. JNU's School of Social Sciences is at the 57th position among the world's top 100 institutes for social sciences." source Wikipedia

Entrance for JNU is held all over India in every state and supposed to be very tough to get into. After I completed my bachelor's in Sociology, I was hit with a wave of uncertainty. In every way and in every aspect of my life. I gave my JNU entrance test in a wave of unconsciousness. I was barely aware of what I was doing or where I was going. I was absolutely sure that people like me, who are average at the best in academics and did not even prepare for a day for the entrance do not get into places like JNU. I waited for the result with bated breath. I use to check the site everyday hoping for a miracle. But at the same time I knew it was not to be. Meanwhile I had also given my entrance in various other institutes. For Jamia Milia my entrance paper was canceled I'm sure because I didn't read and follow instructions clearly. I use to be in such a zombie like state those days that i never realized the ramifications of this at that time. And also there was my entrance for Hyderabad University.

This result came out fairly quick, and when I checked, I found that my name is not there. No surprises there I thought. And it was quickly forgotten. A week or so goes by and I'm out watching a movie. A call comes and it’s my dad. He asked me how I checked my HU results. I am confused (FYI, I am confused a lot). He says he has a letter from HU, I got through. I feel happy; at least I got in somewhere. Maybe getting out of Delhi will be a good thing, I tell myself. It turns out I had checked out the list of MBA results before. My name is there after all. the next few days is spend discussing how relieved everyone is that I got into a good University and my mother worrying about leaving me in Hyderabad on my own, again hardly a surprise.

On 10th June I check my JNU results one last time; it should be out by now. I type in my roll, "selected" flashes across the screen. I jump out of my chair. My heart starts beating, it hasn't beat so hard even when I got my first kiss. I check the list, my name is there I'm the 26th candidate, I check it again and again, I start to doubt if my name is Debopriya, or maybe it is some other Debopriya. I spring up and hug my mom, and yes we start crying like they do in Indian movies. It had been a hard year for her too. My mother tells my Dida who was in Delhi at that time. She insists on seeing the campus, so off we went, the three generations of women, Halder, Ghosh n Ghosh, to see a dream getting full-filled. A dream that was seen by all three of us, my Dida wanted my mom to do something good with her life, because she knew she was capable, my mother in turn wanted the same for me.

I am not a very good student; I don't work very hard or study too much or have never reached my potential that I know I'm capable of. But that day when 'selected' came on the computer screen; I knew that I have achieved something in my 23 years of nothingness. I still remember that feeling, the high. The happiness in my mother and my grandmother's eyes. So there.. My happiest moment.

2 comments:

  1. happiest moments are the ones which you get to share with your close ones (or anyone who would appreciate it), and you did that only. nice sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thats a nice achievement, wonderfully described...keep it up and all the best in JNU :)

    ReplyDelete